Wednesday, October 11, 2017

New York Central Hudson: "Why did I get a J3a?"

So, it's been a while since I last wrote, but the following post has been a long time coming. A few months back, I purchased a model of a New York Central J3a Hudson (coincidentally- class leader, 5405). It was made by Rivarossi of Italy, and for $20 (including an incorrect N&W tender), I couldn't argue, but as I made the purchase, and ever since, I've had this burning question to myself, as to why; why did I buy the locomotive?


(Source: http://www.rivarossi-memory.it/ENGLISH_VERSION/Riva_American_Locos/Riva_Hudson_Eng.htm#Locomotiva_a_Vapore_4-6-4_Hudson_J3a_ )
A little context- my main model train shop guy, lets me dig through the back room when I'm there, and the repair person isn't there. I found the model, and the N&W Tender, in the back, one Saturday (which in itself, had some funny stories to go along with it), back about June of this year. The model was forlorn, ran- but needed some work, but overall in good nick. I couldn't really pass up the price he threw out for me, so I purchased it. A few months later, I found the proper tender for the locomotive, and I purchased that for cheap, at a shop in Pierce County. All-in-all, I now have a totally correct, New York Central J3a. However, I keep asking myself "Why did I buy it?"


I ask myself that, because of all the American-outline model locomotives in the world, the two most famous models of prototypes, are the Union Pacific "Big Boy" and the New York Central Hudson. As much as I respect the two most-popular legendary locomotive classes in American Railroading History, I never really had a burning desire to own models of either of them (yes, I said it, I have never had a desire to own models of either the "Big Boy" or the Central's Hudsons.). They just seemed a little "cliche" to me personally. However, now I have one, and I'm still asking "why?"


Now I say "first" because it's the first motorized model- I have a "Restoration Hardware" tin toy of the Streamlined Version (like the real one pictured above), but it's not really any sort of "scale" model- by any means, so I count the unstreamlined Rivarossi, like the promotional picture from them (the first image), as the "first".

Many models have been made of the NYC Hudsons- in Steamlined and Non-Steamlined forms, starting from Lionel's O-Scale model in 1937 (only three, yes "3" rivets off on the tender! Whoever did the "rivet counting" infuriated Joshua Lionel Cowan- suggesting that his "masterpiece" needed revision. And people wonder why many model railroaders dislike "rivet counters"!), to A.C. Gilbert's "American Flyer" trains in S and HO scale (the first mass-market model in HO scale, of the NYC J3a Hudsons, and one I'd like to acquire myself!). There's been countless custom and production brass models in all scales, even some intrepid people build their own miniature "live steam" models, that they ride behind (as can be seen below, along side what I believe is a Lionel model.).


(Source: https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5519/31008761811_4c29e5be7a_b.jpg)


Anyway, the New York Central J3a is by no means a slouch- these were the locomotives that powered much of the New York Central Railroad's Top Passenger Trains, such as The 20th Century Limited, The Empire State Express, and countless other luxurious trains from the Late-1920's, to the end of Steam on the Central. Sadly, none were preserved of any of the classes, as the President of the Central in the 50's (who shall NOT be named because he was such a Pain!), was Anti-Steam, and desired NOT to have any of the Central's "Legendary" machines preserved (very few Central locomotives survive today- the most astounding being 4-4-0 No. 999, and two of the 4-8-2 "Mohawk" steam locomotives- one of which, survived because of a railroad in Texas!). There was once an attempt by some unknown American Millionaire, to have a New York Central Hudson, replicated by an Engineering firm in Japan, but the guy died before the contracts could be signed! (Anybody with information on the Proposed Japanese-built Replica, please contact me, or comment on this blog post- with the details on that case. I'm very interested in finding out more.)


The model's not bad by any means (pardon the poor light on this and the next photo). It faithfully replicates the real thing nicely.


In may respects, it's up to specification.


Of course, it looks almost dwarfed and homely with the N&W tender behind it, and not as clean-lined as the C&O L-2/L-2a Hudsons, now does it?

However, they were the most numerous Hudson type in the world (the Canadian Pacific being a distant second with it's 65 H-class regular and "Royal Hudsons", versus the Central's 275 J-class). How none were saved, is tragic, and there's no credible effort to build a replica today (the "Hudson Revival Project" as near as I can tell, is a bust!). And if anybody tells you there's one floating around in Michigan, then that's an April Fool's Joke of the Saddest Order on Railfans. I digress, I may never understand why I got myself a New York Central Hudson, but somehow, I don't think it shall be the last- as I have a healthy respect for the Central, and seeing as only one road operated Hudsons in the Great State of Washington [the Milwaukee Road- with some oil-burning F6/F6-a "Baltics" ("Baltic" being another name for 4-6-4 type steam locomotives.), on the "Gap" between Avery, Idaho, and Othello, Washington.], my Model Railroad, will be utilizing Hudson/Baltic locomotives, on Express Services, from the Late-1920's/Early-1930's onward.

Until next time, may you have the high-ball signal, and clear tracks for miles.


No comments:

Post a Comment